For this week’s Checklist Project, I’m sharing my 10 Favorite Kids Movies That are Enjoyable for Adults.
My daughter loves watching kids’ movies, and I like taking her to see movies. In my opinion though, many kids movies are pretty dreadful and painful to watch. I compiled a checklist of some movies to watch with your kids that you will also love. These are my favorite eleven (I know I wrote 10, but I wanted to share a bonus).
- Zootopia: I brought my daughter to see this one over Spring Break and we both loved it. My 16-year old step-son went with his friends and they all loved it too. This is definitely a great one for all ages.
- Labyrinth: This is an oldie, but a goodie. I loved this one when I was a child. When I saw it again with my daughter, we both loved it still. I feel particularly nostalgic about Labyrinth given David Bowie’s recent passing.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas: This is a holiday movie, and one of my favorites. It’s 30 minutes of pure goodness. I particularly love the dog Max. I had a hard time deciding between this one and the movie Elf, another holiday favorite of our whole family.
- The Incredibles: I saw this when I was an adult, but before I had kids. I absolutely loved this movie. When I showed my kids they all felt similarly – who can’t relate to a family of super heroes with super normal problems?
- Meet the Robinsons: This is another favorite movie of mine. I love the message in this movie about how it’s ok to experiment and fail. In fact, it’s more than ok, it should be celebrated.
- Up: This is such a sweet movie and has one of the best love story montage scenes EVER. Though this is a kids’ movie it really speaks to people of all ages and is a reminder that you’re never too old to follow your dreams.
- Princess Bride: This is another oldie, but a goodie. I find it so hard to believe that this movie is 26 years old!!! It’s great for kids and hilarious for adults. It also is one of the most quotable movies. I’ve seen this movie a million times and love it more every time.
- Shrek Series: I’m including all the movies in this series because DreamWorks managed to pull off 4 spectacularly funny and well-told movies. They were all great, and the jokes work on many levels to entertain the whole family.
- Toy Story series: This was another film series that managed to stay strong with all 3 movies. These stories of change and loss and friendship definitely speak to people of all ages. I loved them and my kids did too.
- Pee Wee’s Big Adventure: This strange and hilarious little movie is definitely one of my favorites. I thought it was so great when I first saw it and have fallen more in love with it in each re-watching. It’s available on Netflix now and I recently watched it with my 7-year old. We were both crying with laughter. This old gem has certainly held up over the years.
- Earth to Echo: I really do love this movie, but I’m making it a bonus because I am a bit biased. My son, Teo Halm, stars in the movie. I’ve seen it many, many times (not including the times I was on set watching it get made), and I still laugh and even tear up a bit at the end. It’s a very sweet movie that’s great for the entire family.
So that’s my “Kids Movies Adults Will Love Too” Checklist. It turns out that it was pretty hard to limit it to just 10. As I dug deeper I remembered more and more great kids movies. What are your favorite kids movies? What’s on your checklist? Share it in the comments, on twitter or on Facebook with the tag #52checklistsproject.
Monick Paul Halm is the Chief Creative Officer at the Checklist Mom. She has made it her mission to empower women and moms to thrive in their lives, families, and careers. She’s a busy mom and stepmom of 3, certified life and career coach, author, speaker, and real estate investor. She’s a wearer of many hats, and juggler of many duties and loves connecting with our moms. You can connect with her on the Checklist Mom Facebook Page and on twitter as @thereikicoach.