For this week’s Checklist Project, I’m sharing 10 Things I’m Wildly Passionate About.
So at Checklist Mom, we are all about helping moms find more time, which is really about making better use of the time they have. I saw this quote: “Life is short. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now.”
I think it’s useful to identify our passions and put our energies there as much as possible. Time spent on/with our passions is always valuable time. In that vein, here are 10 passions I’m wildly passionate about:
- My Family – I am wildly passionate about my husband, kids, and my extended family. I have a large, loud, and modern family and I really adore them all. When I talk about my extended family, I count of course my parents, three siblings, niece, and 4 nephews. I also count my many aunts and uncles (my mom is one of 10 kid and my day is one of 8), my many, many cousins (including second, thirds, and removeds), my in-laws, and my husband’s ex-wife and her new family (her husband and his two kids from a previous marriage). Technically, we’re not related to my husband’s ex and her family, but they’re part of the family I married into and I love them too. I am so blessed to feel that way. I know this is not necessarily typical.
- Interior Design – 9 times out of 10 if I pick up a magazine, it’s an interior design magazine. I am also addicted to HGTV shows. I followed my passion and last year I took an interior design certification program and got my interior design certificate (with perfect marks 🙂 ) . Studying about and designing interiors is one of my favorite things to do.
- Real Estate Investment – I got very inspired by all these flipping shows and when my husband sold a property he’d had, we had some money to invest. We started flipping houses. I loved that I got to practice my love of design (because I was designing the spaces to make them more beautiful), that we created a nicer home for the new owners and the neighborhood, and that we made some money in the process. Now we have started doing bigger projects (apartment buildings and mobile home parks), and I love every piece of this process from looking for the properties to sold. I love getting more women into real estate and I started a private group called Real Estate Investor Goddesses on Facebook where we get to talk about, learn about and support each other in getting into the game and prospering. I could spend every second of my day thinking about this. I’m pretty passionate.
Creativity –I’m very passionate about creativity – not just doing creative things (like design or painting or writing), I’m really passionate about studying creativity. I speak about it and teach it and am even working on a book about how to be more creative. I think people are born naturally creative, but as adults most of our creativity is “trained” out of us. I’m passionate about making sure my own life is creative and helping others find their own creativity.
- Intuition & Angels– I’m an angel intuitive. I love communicating with these loving messengers of the divine. I also love learning more about them – I own lots of books about angels and over a dozen oracle card decks. I believe that when the angels talk to us, it comes out as intuitive guidance. I speak to people about this and when I’m out in the corporate world I just speak about intuition. Whatever you call it or however you think about it, it’s a guidance that’s extremely powerful. I’ve done lots of classes about intuition, write about intuition and I’m extremely passionate about this topic. Just like any other topic on this list, I could talk your ear off about it. The one message I would hope you’d take away though is “listen to your intuition. It will never steer you astray.”
World Travel – There are few things I love more than being on a plane on the way to a new destination. The one thing I love more is having landed and being on the start of a new journey. I really love traveling whether it’s off or on the beaten path, I’m there. I also love to live abroad. I have lived on 5 continents. Age 0 – 5 I lived in Ivory Coast and later spent a summer of law school living in South Africa (Africa), we then moved to the US and I went to college in Canada (North America). I spent a few months after college living in France (Europe). I spent a semester+ of law school (6 months) in Japan (Asia), in 2003 I lived for a year in Argentina (South America). I’ve been trying to convince my Australian-born husband that we should move to Sydney. It’s not so that I can live on a 6th continent. I don’t do this because I’m amassing a list. I do that because I LOVE to travel and live abroad. Happily my husband and kids feel similarly.
- Yoga – I’ve been doing yoga since I was 12 – that’s almost 30 years!!! Do you remember the PBS Show, “Lilias, Yoga and You”? That show and a yoga book my mom had on the shelf introduced me to yoga. In my early 20s I started attending classes in gyms and studios. As a 40th birthday present to myself I became a yoga teacher and took a 200 hour yoga teacher training. I’ve been teaching yoga ever since and still attend 1 – 3 other yoga classes a week. I love what it does for my body, but mostly I love the peace of mind it gives me.
- Positive Psychology – I first discovered my love of psychology in high school. I took a Intro to Psych course and discovered that I would always end up reading about 20+ pages more than was assigned for homework. I would be so fascinated by the content. I am also proud to say that my final mark in that class was a 103%. I wasn’t even trying to be an over-achiever. I just was really fascinated. I took many psych classes in college, though I didn’t major in it. I found it too neurologically based and I wasn’t that interested in working with the mentally ill. What I found more interesting was helping people who were sane, but for whatever reason weren’t living to their full potential. That’s what drew me to coaching. Later I discovered the field of positive psychology. This was the study of positive emotions – what makes people happy, creative, successful, adaptive, loving, etc. THIS is my happy place. Again, something I’m pretty obsessed/wildly passionate about reading and talking about.
- Feng Shui – My passion about feng shui is probably connected to my love of interior design. I love that the way you design a building and place objects in a room can have such a profound impact on the lives of the people who live and/or work in that space. It’s fascinating, and I’ve been studying it and teaching it for over 10 years now. I’ve seen the life changing impact it’s had in my own life and the lives of my clients and students and I’m passionate about it.
- Connecting with People Who Inspire Me – I am an extrovert. I love being around people. I most especially love being around people who inspire me – people who are living lives to the fullest, contributing greatly, and doing amazing things. I find wonderful things always happen when I’m around people like that, so I am passionate about it and do it as much as possible.
So that’s my “Things I’m Wildly Passionate About” Checklist. What are your passions? Make your own passions checklist and share it in the comments, on twitter or on Facebook with the tag #52checklistsproject.
Monick Paul Halm is the Chief Creative Officer at the Checklist Mom. She has made it her mission to empower women and moms to thrive in their lives, families, and careers. She’s a busy mom and stepmom of 3, certified life and career coach, author, speaker, and real estate investor. She’s a wearer of many hats, and juggler of many duties and loves connecting with our moms. You can connect with her on the Checklist Mom Facebook Page and on twitter as @thereikicoach.