At Checklist Mom, we are all about helping moms find more time freedom. One of the best ways that I’ve found to get more time freedom, while making money is through real estate investment.
I’ve been a real estate investor for 11 years now. I started with duplexes and single family home flips and my husband and I are now moving to bigger properties. I have found real estate investment to be great for my family’s finances and lifestyle.
It’s a wonderful business for women, especially moms, but there are relatively few women in this space. I’m always striving to improve my skills and knowledge, so I attend a lot of real estate conferences and seminars. When I’m in these conferences, I’m always surprised at how few women are there (often it’s less than 10%). It’s surprising because real estate is a particularly great investment opportunity for women – especially moms.
Here are 4 reasons why I think real estate investing is particularly great for moms:
- Cash flow – Provided you invest well, your real estate investments should provide cash flow from day 1. In other words, after you deduct expenses from the income from your tenants, your have profits that you get to keep. It’s a GREAT way to make money, and it’s mostly passive income (i.e., you don’t have to work for it – the money just comes to you).
- Life-style Friendly Business – remember that part about receiving cash flow that’s mostly passive? That means that while you are making money your time is freed up for you to spend more time with your family, travel, etc. Since we are all about helping moms find more time for themselves, we love this.
- Appreciation – Property values aren’t always rising, but over the long term all real estate values tend to rise or appreciate. This means that in addition to the cash flow, your net worth is also increasing as the value of your properties increase. This is helpful for you and can be a vital part of leaving a legacy for your children.
- Tax Benefits – the federal government decided that they wanted to promote property ownership, so there are all sorts of tax benefits in the tax code for doing so. First, unlike other businesses you might own as an entrepreneur, rental cash flow is not subject to self-employment tax. In other words, if you make $25,000 in rental income in a year or $25,000 with a side-business selling crafts on Etsy, you’ll pay less taxes on the rental income. Another way in which you get to keep more of your cash flow is through something called depreciation. It allows you to deduct a portion of the property value from income and pay less taxes. In some cases, even though you’re getting income from your investment property, your property will reduce your overall tax burden (so you’re paying less taxes on all your income – not just on your income that you receive from the property).
For these 4 reasons and more, I think real estate investing is great for moms. I am passionate about helping more moms/women get into this game, and from the conversations I’ve had with women I know the biggest barrier to getting into investing is knowing how to start.
That’s why I am presenting a free live webinar on Wednesday August 10, 2016 at 12 p.m. PST/3 p.m. EST for women called “How to Get Started Real Estate Investing Like a Goddess”
In this webinar I’ll share:
- the 7 biggest benefits of real estate investing
- who are the members you need on your team to make sure your investment is a success
- how you can find a great property that will cash-flow on day 1
- how to get an investment property using little to none of your own money
- what are the first steps you need to take to get started
- and much more!
If you are interested, click here to sign up for the free live webinar on Wednesday August 10, 2016 at 12 p.m. PST/3 p.m. EST “How to Get Started Real Estate Investing Like a Goddess“.
We won’t be sending out a recording of this webinar, so make sure you’re there live and ready to take notes! Also, please forward this to any other women you think might be interested.
Monick Paul Halm is the Chief Creative Officer at the Checklist Mom. She has made it her mission to empower women and moms to thrive in their lives, families, and careers. She’s a busy mom and stepmom of 3, certified life and career coach, author, speaker, and real estate investor. She’s a wearer of many hats, and juggler of many duties and loves connecting with our moms. You can connect with her on the Checklist Mom Facebook Page and on twitter as @monickpaulhalm.